Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Buy Blue & Green this Christmas

Even though it has been a rough year financially for a lot of us, it is the traditional start of the holiday shopping season. The best bet would be not to buy at all, in my own opinion, but I don't think I can get away with that. The best thing to do would be to give to our local charities. However, if we must buy, I propose we, as Democrats, make a real effort to do some selective buying this year.

First and foremost, I advocate buying as much locally as possible, whether it be from a known Republican owner or not. Buying locally helps to retain jobs and stimulates the local economy. Second, I advocate buying anything made within the USA and not made from places around the world where the workers (often children) are treated unfairly and are underpaid like in "sweatshops". Third, I support people buying things that don't hurt the environment or things that are renewable or recycled. Fourth, if we must buy outside of these contexts, then buying from businesses that donate to Democratic campaigns and causes is the next best thing. It's called "buying blue".

With these four points in mind, I offer a few links I've come across to help in your search:

www.buyblue.org
Global Exchange: Fair Trade and Socially Conscious Gifts Online
Boycott Bush
The Progressive Pages
Method Products (environmentally safe)
Shop Union Made
Source of Items Made in USA (or with non-sweatshop labor)
National Green Pages
Green People
Starve the Beast
Economic Activism and Progressive Action Group (discussion board)
Java Soy Coffee (Indiana-owned non-GMO food)

I hope this is enough to get you started. Like I said--buying local should be first and foremost. I realize it's difficult to buy for teens. My own daughter wants an iPod. What I did find out through one of these links, however, is that iPod is a Democratic party-friendly business. So at least I'm supporting one of my causes! You'll just have to hash the pros and cons out and figure out what's the best route to take. The rest of my purchases will be made locally no matter what.

Remember these four conditions for buying: local, union, green, and blue!

No comments: